Category Archives: sWeetToOth*
it just make my whole weekend start correctly.
you will be missed
Twinkie Clone Recipe
- Non-stick spray
- 4 egg whites
- One 16-ounce box golden pound cake mix
- 2/3 cup water
- 2 teaspoons very hot water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups marshmallow creme (one 7-ounce jar)
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1/3 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
You will need a spice bottle, approximately the size of a Twinkie, ten 12 x 14 -inch pieces of aluminum foil, a cake decorator or pastry bag, and a chopstick.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
Fold each piece of aluminum foil in half twice. Wrap the folded foil around the spice bottle to create a mold. Leave the top of the mold open for pouring in the batter. Make 10 of these molds and arrange them on a cookie sheet or in a shallow pan. Grease the inside of each mold with a light coating of non-stick spray.
Disregard the directions on the box of cake mix. Instead, beat the egg whites until stiff. In a separate bowl combine cake mix with water and beat until thoroughly blended (about 2 minutes). Fold egg whites into the cake batter and slowly combine until completely mixed.
Pour the batter into the molds, filling each one about 3/4 of an inch. Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until the cake is golden brown and a toothpick stuck in the center comes out clean.
For the filling, combine salt with the hot water in a small bowl and stir until salt is dissolved. Let this mixture cool.
Combine the marshmallow creme, shortening, powdered sugar and vanilla in a medium bowl and mix well with an electric mixer on high speed until fluffy.
Add the salt solution to the filling mixture and combine.
When the cakes are done and cooled, use a skewer or chopstick to make three holes in the bottom of each one. Move the stick around inside of each cake to create space for the filling.
Using a cake decorator or pastry bag, inject each cake with filling into all three holes.
so for some reason, i have the bright idea that i will bake my own wedding cake (and grooms cake, and probably the entire dessert table) for my wedding next year fall 2013 (though if you ask my fiance he will tell you the wedding is in 2035 *eyeroll*)
so here are some of my favorite D.I.Y. wedding cakes that i have come across. i found them on Sprinklebake blog (i love that blog, if you are a baker like me, go visit!) and Martha Stewart Weddings website. i think the 2nd blue ombre cake was either posted on Etsy Weddings blog or Sweetpolitia blog (another wonderful bakers blog as well, visit that one too!)
i love them all!
what say you? would you ever D.I.Y. your wedding cake?
this past week-end, i decided to be extra in the kitchen..again. on the menu: chicken pot pie and better than sex cake. better than sex cake is soooooo good, not better than sex but still really good. there is a Paula Dean version of better than sex cake…”is it really better than sex cake”, i think i might make it for Superbowl Sunday
– 3 1/2 cups of flour, half a stick of butter, 2 eggs
– 1-2 lbs of chicken breast cut into cubes
– 2 carrots, 1 medium-sized onion, 2 scallions
– 1 cup of chicken broth
– 1 can of cream of mushroom or cream of chicken soup (don’t add any extra water)
– 2-3 slices of bacon
– basil, garlic, parsley, pepper to taste
1. mix flour, butter, 2 eggs, basil, garlic and pepper into dough
2. brown bacon, set aside
3. using a teaspoon of oil, brown chicken cubes in pan, set aside
4. using a separate pan, cook your carrots, scallions and onions until soft. place the onions in the pan last, allowing them to “sweat out”
5. add 1 cup of chicken broth to the vegetable mixture, simmer
6. add cooked cubed chicken and cream of mushroom (or cream of chicken) to vegetable mixture
7. place pot pie filling into non-stick baking pans ( i used two 9 inch round pans) and cover with dough mixture
8. brush pies with egg yolk wash,top with scallion and bacon.place in oven at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown
better than sex cake
1 box of chocolate cake mix
1 can of sweetened condensed milk
1 can of whip cream or cool whip (“coo whip” lol) topping
fresh strawberries (about 10 to 15)
1. cut strawberries into slices
2. after mixing cake and placing into greased/floured pans, place half of your strawberry slices on the cake mix
3. bake as directed
4. before allowing cake to cool, you are basically going to mess up and mush your cake with a fork (this will allow for the sweetened condensed milk to really set in)
5. pour can of sweetened condensed milk all over cake. don’t be cheap either, use the entire can
6. allow cake to cool for 10-15 mins
7. top with whip cream or cool whip topping, decorate your cake with the rest of your strawberry slices
enjoy : p